Friday, October 28, 2011

WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR SPRING WEATHER?

22nd to 28th October 2011

Today is National Bandanna Day, by purchasing and wearing a colourful Bandanna people are supporting those that are suffering from Cancer.  When you see the television advertisements that tell us that one in three people will have some form of cancer in their life time it is a frightening thought and more research needs to be done to try to prevent this from worsening.

On Friday last week at Interclub I threw javelin and shot put, in javelin I threw 4.81m and in the shot put 2.09m which was not a personal best unfortunately, I was quite tired from a busy week at school so did not have as much energy or strength for my throwing.  Jarrett ran in a 1500m invitational race, he was incredibly fast and ran another personal best, he did a 4:11:12 which was a five second PB from the week before.  He then ran a 200m which is a sprint race and something he normally does not do but he still race fast 27 seconds. 

On the weekend I am proud to say that I walked two laps of the AIS track, that is 800m with my rollator and although my knee swelled up a little I had an enormous smile on my face when I finished.

We had absolutely splendiferous weather for a few days and then it all turned dismal, it was dreadfully cold, almost like the middle of Winter again, it rained and the wind cruelly bent the beautiful Spring plants.  Today however has improved a little and although it has been rather overcast the sun has managed to shine through occasionally and the temperature is significantly warmer than earlier in the week. 

On Monday I had my paediatrician appointment, he was so impressed that I have begun throwing again and my determination to achieve my goals.  He was however concerned about my growth and my blood results from my growth hormone tests showing that my levels are extremely low, the growth hormone injections have not been approved as yet and often endocrine hormone issues can cause other major body systems to shut down and that is likely to occur in my case.  Growth hormone injections will increase my muscle bulk in my body and I will begin to grow however I will not grow in my spine because of the high levels of radiation I had to have.  I still have nystagmus in all directions which worsens when I am tired and that has to be monitored because it can cause vision loss.  The remaining tumour has remained stable although there had been some enlargement reported. 

That night was the presentation night for the Cross Country Club, Jarrett won the Junior Male Distance Runner of the Year, he won a large trophy which he has now won three years in a row and a gift voucher and then he won the Under 19 Male Champion.  Every time he does so well I feel so proud to be his Sister and he is always so modest about winning awards I think that is wonderful.

I have been working on several school assignments, I have to do a little on them and then take a break and then do some more, when I sit for too long, my eyes flicker too much that I am unable to see what I am doing as well as I get a headache.  I have to be careful because in the past when I have put myself under too much stress I have seizure and they are terrible and a little debilitating. 

At school we are going to have a number of tests, firstly to work out what level classes we will be in next year and also to give us practise ready for the exams we will face in Year 9 and 10.  My difficulty is my processing and writing speeds, I can write nine words a minute and most students of my age and grade can write in the high twenties into the thirties words a minute.  When doing tests, I have to do a little, stop, rest and then do more so my ability to complete it in the given time is virtually impossible. 

I had physiotherapy yesterday, the marvellous Rhiannon yet again was able to provide me with some relief from my tight and sore muscles, this time my right hip, knee, ankle and foot were the problem.  My back was extremely tight so she loosened it as well as putting heat on it.  In my right foot I have a  bone spur (osteophyte) it is a bony growth formed on normal bone. Most people think of something sharp when they think of a "spur," but a bone spur is just extra bone. It’s usually smooth, but it can cause wear and tear or pain if it presses or rubs on other bones or soft tissues such as ligaments, tendons, or nerves in the body, the feet are a common place for one to occur.  I will have physiotherapy in another two weeks, that is in November, Rhiannon is leaving at the end of November, I will truly miss my physiotherapy guardian angel. 

Poor Jarrett he was running on Monday and injured his foot, he has a plantar fascia injury and is not able to train for a week, he has his foot all taped up with tape that almost resembles a shoe, he has to wear cushioned socks and good shoes.  It is only a minor setback and he will no doubt be back running very quickly as he always heals so well and then he will be breaking personal best times again.  So when Nalani and I compete at Interclub later today he will be a spectator which will be difficult for him. 

At Interclub I am going to be throwing the discus and shot put, I am hoping that I can achieve a personal best this time, if not though I will keep trying and eventually I will do it. 

Nana and Pop's poor little dog, Chifley had his knee surgery and it all went well, however when he went to have his stitches pulled out, the pin the vet inserted has moved and now he has to have surgery again on Tuesday to put it back in the correct position. 

Praying that you and your families are all keeping well and that rainbows shine constantly in your lives bringing you so much joy. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dainere
You have certainly been doing great things lately. Fancy walking 800 metres with your rollator. You have amazed us with your ability with all of your throwing events.

Jarrett will be having trouble tonight sitting out while you and Nalani participate. We know how much he enjoys his running events.

Even though Chifley has to have another operation he has amazed us at how well he is getting around. He walks with a limp but is a very happy little dog now that his knee is not going in an out on him. We think his next operation will only be a small one and will not hinder his progress.

Have a great week at school.

Lots of love
Nan and Pop xxx ooo

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear Dainere, i am afraid this will be short , as we are needing to go to bed before our trip starts tomorrow .

Your sporting skills just get better abd better , plus two laps of the track , well done , NOT to much though .

Yes poor plants not sure what is happening are they.

Congratulations to Jarrett , watch out for his name , thats what i say Dainere , hes the man to watch for in a few years time .

Good girl , taking things slowly with school work , Dainere , we hope the school will realise that you simply cant be pushed to the same speed as the others .

Sorry to hear of Jarretts injury , we hope it soon recovers .

Hope Chifley recovers well too.

well my friend , take care and we will try and catch from south america .

Take care

love stuart and meryl xxxxx

Ali Davies said...

Love that phrase you use "I will do it".
Whenever I pop in to read your blog I am always really impressed with your wisdom, courage and fantastic mindset in the most challenging of circumstances.

Keep on keeping on special girl

Ali x

your admirer Sarah M said...

Hi Dainere :-) A huge congratulations on finishing two laps of the AIS stadium - I have seen that track and am in total admiration at your determination. The very fact that you go to school and attempt to achieve ambitious mental and physical goals is truly amazing Dainere. You may not realise how amazing these goals and achievements are. Your qualities of strength, determination, wisdom, kindness and generosity are unique to you - as are your beautiful sparkling eyes and smile :-) you constantly inspire me - you are by far the gutsiest person I know! hopefully see you again soon, lots of love sarah xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx