Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 COMES TO AN END

24th to 31st December 2011

I hope that everyone had a splendiferous Christmas and that it was filled with many special memories that your will treasure throughout the coming year.

My Christmas was an extraordinary one because I spent it in Queensland with my Nana and Pop, it is the very first time ever that we have been away from Canberra for Christmas.  We thought we were not going to get there though because on the day we left Canberra we arrived at the airport to be informed that our flight had been delayed due to a mechanical problem, so we waited and waited and finally almost two hours after our flight was orginally supposed to leave, we were on our way.  It was so exciting to be staying with Nana and Pop at their house and seeing their dog Chifley, who was so cute and friendly.  On Christmas Eve we gathered around the television singing Christmas Carols, I think some of us were a little off key but it sounded triumphant, we then shared  some funny memories of past Christmases which made us all laugh.  Then on Christmas morning we all sat in the lounge around the glistering Christmas Tree while Pop enjoyed  handing out the Christmas gifts.

Santa had visited us the week before, he even sent a letter all the way from the North Pole telling us that he makes special trips at this time of year to children who are going away for Christmas and would not be able to carry their gifts back with them, it is a tricky thing to do when you are flying.  This year on Christmas Day as I sat with a smile on my face enjoying seeing the gifts that the rest of the family and I received I thought how very lucky I was to be sharing that moment, at that time with my family.  So much has happened in the past couple of years and I am just so grateful for every day that I have on this earth, I think that many people take life for granted and waste it by not making the most of it or doing things that really are not right or hurt other people.  We should always wake up each day wanting to make it a special day, one where we smile at others, appreciate those people around us, try to help out others in any way and spread happiness and love.

The weather in Queensland was almost perfect, the sun shone radiantly in a crystal clear, sparkling blue sky, a gentle breeze came up to cool the air when it was just a little too warm and light, wispy white clouds floated luxuriously about in the blue sky.  We only had one day of rain but it was still warm and pleasant. 

We spent time at the surf beach and at the calm waters, we were very fortunate because many beaches had to be closed along the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast however at Bribie Island which is near where my Nana and Pop live it remained opened.  The waves were a little rough and unpredictable and piles of sea grass was been tossed up in the waves but it was warm and refreshing and as the waves rolled in over my legs and feet they tickled a little and felt so lovely. 

The sand on Queensland beaches is so soft and white, it is fun to run it through your hands or scrunch your toes up in it although I felt just a little uncomfortable when it stuck between my toes and scratched.  During our time in Queensland we had icecreams by the water front, they were melting as we ate them in the heat, I had a sorbet as icecream is one of the food items that really upsets my stomach.  We watched people fishing, they did not seem to be catching anything but were enjoying themselves, we had fresh fish and chips for dinner one night and found a cane toad in Nana and Pop's backyard which Pop stabbed with his special stick while Jarrett put dettol on it, they are really strange looking animals.   On our last day we saw some tiny clear jelly fish in the water, they were bobbing around near the edge of the water looking ever so graceful and peaceful. 

Our time away was extremely restful and enjoyable, it was so fantastic to be with Nana and Pop at their house and spend Christmas with them.  It is a time that I will treasure and it was so wonderful not to have to have doctors appointments or treatment. 

However now we are back home I have a series of appointments and my growth hormone treatment to contend with.  Having some time away from all of that was such a relief, it was almost like being normal, most people my age don't have to face every day what I have to.  I know I was given my journey for a reason and I will keep fighting to help others each and every day. 

My first week in January, I have a physiotherapy appointment which I am looking forward to, because while I was in Queensland my right foot became extremely sore and swollen on the top, it is so painful to touch and to move.  I am hoping that the rough waves did not do any damage to it, because it is after a day that the waves were really forceful that it became painful.  I also have Interclub again, I will be throwing in javelin and shot put. 

Wishing you all a magnificent last day of 2011 and I hope that 2012 will be a splendiferous year for you all, thank you for all your support and assisting me in raising awareness and funds for brain tumours, I hope that in 2012 we can all continue to make a significant difference and maybe one day my dearest dream of doctors finding a cure for brain tumours will become a reality.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dainere
Christmas is always a special time of the year, but this year was made extra special for us because we were able to share it with all of you in our home. We did have a wonderful 8 days with you, and would have loved it to be more.

It seems so quiet without you all and we still expect to see you all walk through the door any minute after being to the beach.

Chifley still looks for you all. He has been pretty sad looking since you have gone. We think he got too used to all the special treatment.

Today is the start of the New Year and we hope it brings to everyone much happiness, love and good fortune.

Lots of love
Nan and Pop xxxxxx oooooo

Rhiannon said...

Happy New Year Dainere! Sounds like you and your family had a fantastic Christmas and the trip to QLD was enjoyable. I bet Chifley was happy to have the extra company. Glad the weather was lovely!

I've just got back to Adelaide this afternoon and spending the past 2wks in NZ with my family. We went on a 5 day hike and then headed to Wellington for Xmas and enjoyed some high ropes and other adventurous activities. Family is very important and it's always great spend time with them. Last night for NYE I was in Sydney with friends on a cruise ship for 6hrs watching the fireworks and bringing in the NY. It was incredible!

Congrats on your award ... you deserve it! Also congrats to Jarrett on his award and Nalani get a HD in her massage exam.

Let me know if you ever come to Adelaide and we will have to catch up. Miss you. Here's to a fantastic 2012 with good health and happiness :)
Lots of hugs, Rhi xxx

Anonymous said...

Dear Dainere'
Sounds like you and your family had a fantastic xmas with your Nan and Pop, such special memories to store in your heart.
I wish for you a wonderful and successful year ahead, with less pain and more energy, and lets hope more research into brain tumours.
Happy New Year to you and your wonderful family.